Short ribs were made for grilling! These meaty ribs are rubbed, grilled, and topped with an easy-to-make Pennsylvania Dutch-style chowchow: an amazing pickled condiment of cabbage, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
Ingredients: For the chow chow
Ingredients: For the short ribs
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring apple cider vinegar, water, salt, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and crushed red pepper flakes to a simmer, whisking frequently. Once salt and sugar have dissolved, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Combine the cabbages, corn, peppers, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl, and then stuff the mixture into a Mason jar. Fill with the apple cider mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir salt, paprika, cumin, garlic and chili powders, and brown sugar together. Coat the ribs with the rub, and grill for 10–12 minutes for medium rare, flipping frequently to make sure all sides are nice and charred.
- Let the ribs rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving, and plate with the chowchow.
Tips: Extra chowchow will last for a few weeks refrigerated. It is excellent on hot dogs as well.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jun 24, 2020
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Jun 9, 2020
These Tips Are Your North Star For Home Decorating
| Jul 30, 2020