Photography and styling by Melina Hammer.
There’s almost always a bunch of kale in our refrigerator. Most nights I finely chop it, cook a little minced garlic in oil, add the kale and a splash of water and a sprinkle of salt, give it all a good stir, and call it a night. But sometimes after I do that, I dot the top with milky ricotta and grated mozzarella and pop the whole skillet under the broiler so that the cheese melts. Giving kale the white pizza treatment is one of the best ways I know to take the boring out of eating your greens.
- Position your oven rack 6 inches from the broiling element and turn the broiler to high.
- Place the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it begins to sizzle, about
1 minute. Add the kale and water and then sprinkle with the salt. Cook the kale, stirring now and then, until it’s softened and the water has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Dollop the ricotta cheese evenly on top of the kale and sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on the skillet as broilers vary and yours might take a little less, or a little more, time.
- Sprinkle the kale with the Parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes (if using). Serve immediately, straight from the skillet.
Excerpted from Simply Julia: 110 Easy Recipes for Healthy Comfort Food by Julia Turshen. Harper Wave, 2021. Photography and styling by Melina Hammer.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Mar 23, 2021
| Mar 17, 2016
Make Your Own Seed Paper
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Mar 30, 2020