Perhaps nothing provides a taste of autumn more than the flavors of pumpkin and apple cider. Once summer starts coming to a close, you’re sure to start seeing both items in stores everywhere.
Now you can bring these two sensational seasonal staples together right in your own kitchen with this recipe for pumpkin waffles with apple cider syrup! Enjoy them paired, or make them separately whenever you have the urge to start your day with a sweet breakfast.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and grease it with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, egg, buttermilk, brown sugar, and pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, cornmeal, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice; mix until combined, taking care to not overmix.
- Using ½ cup of the batter at a time, pour the batter onto the center of the hot waffle iron, and press the lid down.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until the steaming stops and the waffle is golden brown. Carefully remove waffle, and repeat the process with the remaining batter.
Apple Cider Syrup
- Use a whisk to mix the brown and white sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Slowly add the apple cider and lemon juice to the mixture.
- Whisk over medium heat until the syrup thickens to your desired consistency.
- Remove the syrup from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Serve warm over pumpkin waffles.