Latkes are a traditional fried pancake made from potatoes, that pairs well with just about any topping—sweet or savory—just like these latkes made with apples, onions, and spices.
Ingredients: For the latkes
Ingredients: For the sweet and savory chutney
For the latkes
- Using the large side of a grater, grate the onion and potatoes. Wrap both the onions and potatoes in a dish towel, squeeze out the excess juices, and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the whisked egg, flour, butter, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, scoop small amounts of the batter into the pan, making sure the latkes don’t touch each other while frying. Cook for 3–4 minutes per side, until golden and crisp on both sides.
- Line a plate with paper towels, and transfer the fried latkes onto the plate to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve immediately with chutney and sour cream.
For the chutney
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, caramelize the onions in the butter.
- Deglaze the pan with 2 tbsp. of the apple cider vinegar, and pour the onions and liquid into a pot.
- Add the apples, sugar, ginger, and the rest of the apple cider vinegar to the pot. Mix, and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce the heat, and let the mixture simmer uncovered—for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the lemon juice, curry powder, salt, cinnamon, and Dijon mustard. Raise the heat, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a container, and refrigerate.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Feb 17, 2020
Trash vs. Recycle: Do You Know When to Trash it?
| Dec 14, 2017
House Selling Checklist
| Mar 23, 2021
Spring Cleaning Countdown
| Jun 9, 2020